As we enter the holiday season, I would like to express gratitude on behalf of the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts for your encouragement, advice and support.
We have now completed our first six months of pilot programming, making great strides in our development of our arts programming and our intention to partner with community organizations; both within the downtown eastside as well as the broader Vancouver community.
Our two community-based programs, the Fabric Arts Program and the Seniors Move It program, have both re-iterated what we believed to be true; that there is a great need for accessible arts programs in the Downtown Eastside.
We are very proud of what we, along with your support, have accomplished in our first six months and now are making plans for the future.
We are also very proud of what we have done with very little financial means. We work with an essential staff base with the result being a very efficient use of our funds focusing on the programming.
I, personally, after my homelessness and experience with addiction and subsequent recovery, made a commitment to work for a year in service to the community. I have six months completed and will work until May of 2010 in a volunteer capacity.
This letter is a request for your financial support of the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts. We ask that you consider a donation to an alternative approach to the well-being of the downtown eastside community that has the potential to engage, encourage and enrich.
If you would like to designate your funds to a specific program or review our accomplishments to date, please review the following pages.
Please send your donation to:
The Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts
C/O 902-239 E Georgia St .
Vancouver, BC V6A 4J7
If you would like an official tax receipt for 2009, please make your check payable to the Community Arts Council of Vancouver. If you do not require a tax receipt for this year, please make your check payable to the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts.
We thank you in advance for your support and wish each and every one of you health & happiness in the coming year.
Dalannah Gail Bowen & the staff:
Lisa, Sarah, Jackie, the board and volunteers.
Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts six-month report highlights
- secured agreement with Community Arts Council of Vancouver to house the Downtown Eastside Centre For The Arts for charitable tax purposes
- secured sponsorship for program and office space through Portland Hotel Society
- hired Lisa Fox Valdes as part-time administrative coordinator
- presented the Fabric Arts Program every Monday & Tuesday facilitated by fabric artist Sarah Turner
- Presented the highly- successful Community Quilt Exhibit which featured 102 participants in the creation of 30 quilts including organizations and individuals from across the Lower Mainland.
- Presented the successful Community Quilt Live & Silent Auction
Secured presenting partnership with Joe Ink Dance Company to present the Seniors Move It Program every Wednesday
- Through an invitation from the Chinatown Merchants Association and sponsorship from the Chinatown Night Market Association and VanCity, the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts represented 12 aboriginal artists’ art for the duration of the summer Chinatown Night Market.
- Successful bid to present the Nighthawk Aboriginal Arts & Music Festival which will take place on March 21 at Crab park
- In partnership with the City Of Vancouver , coordinated opening of Pigeon Park December 15, 2009
- Presented The Ephemeral Outside Sharon Burns photography exhibit
- In partnership with the UBC Music Program and the Carnegie Community Centre presented the four-day Gamelan Music Project
- Partnered to develop programming with and for the In The Heart Of The City Festival.
- DECA Children’s Art Christmas Party Sunday December 20, 2009 1:00p.m
- Indian Art N’ Action: aboriginal art, art demonstrations, music and more
- January 7-29, 2010 Interurban Gallery
- The World Tea Party: Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts
- Art Fundraiser March 18, 2010 Centre A
- Nighthawk Aboriginal Arts & Music Festival March 21, 2010 Crab Park
Please note: the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts will be closed from December 23-Janaury 4, 2010.
Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts Programs
Fabric Arts Program
From quilting to fabric painting this program explores the world of working with fabric to create art and community connections.
Seniors Move It
A physical movement program in partnership with Joe Ink Dance Company for community members with low mobility and social mobility issues.
We will be expanding this program in the new year to include all adults to be more inclusive.
The Aboriginal Song Circle
Commencing January 25, 2010
Programs that we would like to initiate in the spring
Children’s Art Program
Afternoon arts program for children in the community (focus is on low- income single parent)
Mondays from 4-5:00 p.m.
Funding required: $4,000.00 to run this program for one year.
Evening-based program that provides mentored sessions, art supplies for painting, carving to those living in high-risk and more during
the most difficult time of the day in our community Mondays 6:30-9:30.
Funding required: $10,000.00 to run this program for a year.
Music of the Returning Journey
A music project that rekindles collaboration between black and the North American Indians’, high-risk youth and professionals, this project combines pow wow drums with blues music.
Funding required: $10,000.00 to run this program for a year combined with other confirmed funding.
Current community partners
A Stitch For Social Change Atex Fabrics
Club Femminile Italiano from The Italian Cultural Centre
Chinatown Night Market
Chinatown Merchants Association
City Of Vancouver
Community Arts Council of Vancouver
Coyote Comforts Quilting Project
Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre
Dussa’s Han & Cheese
Elizabeth Fry Society
Joe Ink “Move It’ Dance Company
Kermodi Living Art
Living Through Loss Counseling Society of BC
Opus Art & Design Media
Packaging Alternatives Inc.
Patchwork & Arts Quilts
Philippine Women’s Centre Of BC
Portland Hotel Society
Potluck Café Society
Print Time Digital Centre
Stock Designer Bags
St. James Community Square
UBC Music Program
Vancouver Christian School
Vancouver Resource Society Day Program
W T Lynch Foods
If you or your company would like to support the Downtown Eastside Centre for the Arts in a more specific way, please contact Dalannah at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 604-689-2787.